Friday, August 28, 2015

The Ceiling...

Like I said, I find myself in some interesting situations.  My family and I live in a home built in 1894...needless to say she has her problems.  Lately we had the ceiling tiles in our living room give way to age and humidity.  One Saturday morning I walked out of my room to see the ceiling tiles sagging almost to the ceiling fan blades. Needless to say I was not planning on doing a home makeover on my only day off.  Anyways, party on!

So to start I took down the ceiling tiles.  (The thought was take down the tile and finish the drywall backing.)  Guess what...that didn't work out.  There were about 500 globs of what appeared to be the great great granddaddy of liquid nails.  That was not expected.  My next move, phone a friend.  My buddy (the engineer) said the open floor joist look is in right now.  "Have you ever thought of that?" he asked.  The truth is, yes, I have thought about it and the fact that it would take my half day job and add at least another day and a half to it was less than appealing.  I was not thrilled.   The decision was made though...by my wife!

Down it comes!

The job went quite a bit faster than I had originally planned.  The fact that my buddy came over, I'm sure, had nothing to do with it.

 The work progressed as you might expect.  If you have any experience rehabbing or doing demo work in an old house you have an earned appreciation for the job at hand.  I had already torn down the press board tiles which left us with just the drywall and a layer of plaster and lathe.  

The plan was to tarp the carpet and haul out the debris that was pulled down onto it.  The tarp, as usual, let me down.  When we pulled the debris out we found quite a nice pile of debris around the edges.  The carpet was destroyed.

Bad news for me...great news for my wife.  Ever since we installed our wood stove and found out we had hardwood floors hiding beneath the carpet my wife was bound and determined to find a way to get them.  In short she did.

 The job did have a couple of pretty unique surprises as well.  First of which was a "mummified" cat (I assume it crawled up from the basement and got lost) that was totally dried inside and out and didn't have a hair left on it.  Secondly, we found an old pint wide mouth milk bottle (pretty self-explanatory).  Lastly we found some pretty sweet "artifacts."  We found some old newspaper that dated back to the late 1800's as well as an amazingly well preserved letter from a gentleman in Germany asking the recipient for a job.  The letter was complete and even included the envelope with postage and postmarks from both Germany and America!

                                     
Moral of the story...if your wife suckers you into doing some "last minute home makeover" project...courteously oblige her and hope to find some cool stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment